Attractions in Prague

Prague attractions listed by popularity

Charles Bridge is Prague’s most famous landmark. The fourteenth-century Gothic bridge is embellished with thirteen Baroque sculptures and connects Old Town with Lesser Town.

Prague Castle is an impressive complex that was built over the space of 10 centuries. The complex contains three courtyards, a cathedral, a chapel, palaces, a convent and several fortification towers.

Prague’s most beautiful square marks the heart of the city of Prague. The is square surrounded by magnificent churches, palaces and rowhouses. A large monument honors Jan Hus, a Czech martyr.

Prague’s grand central square was originally the site of a large horse market. It developed into a bustling commercial boulevard lined with shops, restaurants and hotels.

Prague’s old Town Hall was built in 1364. The 15th century clock that adorns the seventy meter (230ft) tall tower is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions.

St. Vitus Cathedral stands within the confines of the Prague Castle and is one of Eastern Europe’s finest examples of Gothic architecture. Inside is the tomb of St. Wenceslas, the country’s patron saint.

The late gothic Powder Tower was built in 1475. It was originally known as the Mountain tower but renamed after the tower was used to store gunpowder in the 17th century.

Wallenstein Palace is an impressive palace built in the early 17th century for Albrecht von Wallenstein, commander of the Imperial army. The palace is also known for its beautiful Italianate garden.

The Jan Hus Monument is a large memorial erected in 1915 at the Old Town Square. It Honors the Czech reformer Jan Hus, who was declared a heretic in 1915 and died a martyr at the stake.

Prague’s most famous modern building was built in 1996 after a design by Frank O Gehry and Vlado Milunic, a local architect. The building portrays two people dancing.

One of two St. Nicholas Churches in Prague, this Baroque church borders Old Town Square. It was designed by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer who also completed the other St. Nicholas church.

Golden Lane is a small alley at the Prague Castle complex with small colorful houses. The houses were built for the castle guards, but were later occupied by goldsmiths, hence the street’s name.

Prague’s most important theatre building was originally constructed at the end of the 19th century by local architect Josef Zítek. The building is a symbol of Czech culture and independence.

This bridge tower serves as the gateway between the Charles Bridge and Prague’s Old Town district. It is considered the most beautiful bridge tower in Europe.

One of Prague’s most magnificent churches overlooks Lesser Town Square at the foot of Prague’s castle district. The church was constructed in the 18th century by Christoph Dientzenhofer and his son Kilian Ignaz.

Castle Square is lined with beautiful palaces built after the great fire of 1541 had flattened the area. At the center of the square is the Mary Column, erected to celebrate the end of the plague.

Strahov Monastery was built in 1140 on the approach route to the Prague Castle. The monastery is best known for its magnificent library which contains a collection of over 200,000 books.

This magnificent Art Nouveau building was built in the early 20th century at the site of a former royal palace. Inside is the Smetana Hall, a lavishly decorated concert and dance hall.

This Renaissance style palace was built in the 16th century in Prague’s Castle District by Count Jan Lobkowicz the Younger. The palace is now a museum with late-Renaissance sculptures and paintings.

The Crusaders’ Square is a small square near the Charles Bridge. It is hemmed in by historic buildings, most notably the 14th century Old Town Bridge tower. In the middle of the square stands a statue of Emperor Charles IV.

The history of this bell tower goes back to the 15th century. Inside the tower are a restaurant and, on the 10th floor, an observation deck with panoramic views over the city of Prague.

Petrin Hill is located just south of Prague’s castle. Several attractions can be found on this more than 300 meter high hill, including a 1/4 scale imitation of the Eiffel Tower, an observatory and a mirror maze.

Vyšehrad is the site of a large castle built in the 10th century and the residence of the Bohemian royals until 1140. The only remnants visible today are the ramparts, gates and the ruins of a bastion.

The colossal equestrian statue on top of Vítkov Hill honors one of the country’s most famous heroes, Jan Žižka, who lead the Hussite army to victories in the early 15th century.

Kampa island is a picturesque part of Lesser Town. This neighborhood at the end of the Charles Bridge features several water mills and some picturesque houses.

Once an exclusive entertainment area reserved for royals, the beautiful landscaped garden is now open to the public. Besides nature, you’ll find a number of magnificent buildings in the Royal Garden.

This magnificent formal garden is divided into several terraces laid out on a sloping terrain. Staircases, decorated with baroque statues, connect the different levels.

Lesser Town Square was created in the 13th century as the market place for the Prague Castle. After a fire destroyed the gothic buildings along the square they were rebuilt with beautiful renaissance and baroque façades.

This highlight of neo-Renaissance architecture is home to the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. It was built at the end of the 19th century by the same architects responsible for the National Theatre.

Two towers mark the end of Charles Bridge towards the Lesser Town district: a small 12th century tower and a taller 15th century tower. From the tallest of the two towers you have great views over the bridge.

Originally built in the 14th century and rebuilt in the mid 20th century, this chapel is highly symbolic as the bulwark of protestantism until the Battle of White Mountain in 1620.

The Prague Loreto is a Baroque pilgrimage complex that was built in the 17th-18th centuries around the Santa Casa (Holy House), a replica of the venerated house in Loreto, Italy. The Loreto is also home to a treasury with some magnificent, diamond-encrusted liturgical items.

Josefov, Prague’s Jewish Quarter, contains some of the most well-preserved Jewish historical monuments in Europe, including six synagogues and an old Jewish cemetery.

The Convent of St. Agnes was founded in the early 14th century. It is the oldest surviving Gothic building in Prague and provides the setting for the collection of medieval art from the National Gallery.

Tyn Church, overlooking Old Town Square, is one of Prague’s most photographed sights. The church, which was built in the 14th century, still towers over the city.

The Žižkov Tower was built in 1985-1992 as a TV Tower. Today it is the tallest tower in Prague. It houses a restaurant and observatory with panoramic views over the city.

Originally built in the 18th century as the Nostitz Theatre, this elegant classicist building is best known as the location for the premiere of Mozart’s Don Giovanni in 1787.

Founded in 993, the Břevnov Monastery is the oldest monastery in Bohemia. The current Baroque complex dates from the eighteenth century and includes a church, prelate house and orangery.

The National Museum is a monumental neo-Renaissance building prominently prominently overlooking Wenceslas Square. The museum has exhibitions on a wide range of topics.

The Old-New Synagogue is the oldest still functioning synagogue in Europe. For more than 700 years, it has miraculously survived fires, plunderings, pogroms and redevelopment plans.

Prague attractions listed alphabetically

Originally built in the 14th century and rebuilt in the mid 20th century, this chapel is highly symbolic as the bulwark of protestantism until the Battle of White Mountain in 1620.

Founded in 993, the Břevnov Monastery is the oldest monastery in Bohemia. The current Baroque complex dates from the eighteenth century and includes a church, prelate house and orangery.

Castle Square is lined with beautiful palaces built after the great fire of 1541 had flattened the area. At the center of the square is the Mary Column, erected to celebrate the end of the plague.

Charles Bridge is Prague’s most famous landmark. The fourteenth-century Gothic bridge is embellished with thirteen Baroque sculptures and connects Old Town with Lesser Town.

The Convent of St. Agnes was founded in the early 14th century. It is the oldest surviving Gothic building in Prague and provides the setting for the collection of medieval art from the National Gallery.

The Crusaders’ Square is a small square near the Charles Bridge. It is hemmed in by historic buildings, most notably the 14th century Old Town Bridge tower. In the middle of the square stands a statue of Emperor Charles IV.

Prague’s most famous modern building was built in 1996 after a design by Frank O Gehry and Vlado Milunic, a local architect. The building portrays two people dancing.

Originally built in the 18th century as the Nostitz Theatre, this elegant classicist building is best known as the location for the premiere of Mozart’s Don Giovanni in 1787.

Golden Lane is a small alley at the Prague Castle complex with small colorful houses. The houses were built for the castle guards, but were later occupied by goldsmiths, hence the street’s name.

The Jan Hus Monument is a large memorial erected in 1915 at the Old Town Square. It Honors the Czech reformer Jan Hus, who was declared a heretic in 1915 and died a martyr at the stake.

The colossal equestrian statue on top of Vítkov Hill honors one of the country’s most famous heroes, Jan Žižka, who lead the Hussite army to victories in the early 15th century.

Josefov, Prague’s Jewish Quarter, contains some of the most well-preserved Jewish historical monuments in Europe, including six synagogues and an old Jewish cemetery.

Kampa island is a picturesque part of Lesser Town. This neighborhood at the end of the Charles Bridge features several water mills and some picturesque houses.

Two towers mark the end of Charles Bridge towards the Lesser Town district: a small 12th century tower and a taller 15th century tower. From the tallest of the two towers you have great views over the bridge.

Lesser Town Square was created in the 13th century as the market place for the Prague Castle. After a fire destroyed the gothic buildings along the square they were rebuilt with beautiful renaissance and baroque façades.

The Prague Loreto is a Baroque pilgrimage complex that was built in the 17th-18th centuries around the Santa Casa (Holy House), a replica of the venerated house in Loreto, Italy. The Loreto is also home to a treasury with some magnificent, diamond-encrusted liturgical items.

This magnificent Art Nouveau building was built in the early 20th century at the site of a former royal palace. Inside is the Smetana Hall, a lavishly decorated concert and dance hall.

The National Museum is a monumental neo-Renaissance building prominently prominently overlooking Wenceslas Square. The museum has exhibitions on a wide range of topics.

Prague’s most important theatre building was originally constructed at the end of the 19th century by local architect Josef Zítek. The building is a symbol of Czech culture and independence.

This bridge tower serves as the gateway between the Charles Bridge and Prague’s Old Town district. It is considered the most beautiful bridge tower in Europe.

Prague’s old Town Hall was built in 1364. The 15th century clock that adorns the seventy meter (230ft) tall tower is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions.

Prague’s most beautiful square marks the heart of the city of Prague. The is square surrounded by magnificent churches, palaces and rowhouses. A large monument honors Jan Hus, a Czech martyr.

The Old-New Synagogue is the oldest still functioning synagogue in Europe. For more than 700 years, it has miraculously survived fires, plunderings, pogroms and redevelopment plans.

Petrin Hill is located just south of Prague’s castle. Several attractions can be found on this more than 300 meter high hill, including a 1/4 scale imitation of the Eiffel Tower, an observatory and a mirror maze.

The late gothic Powder Tower was built in 1475. It was originally known as the Mountain tower but renamed after the tower was used to store gunpowder in the 17th century.

Prague Castle is an impressive complex that was built over the space of 10 centuries. The complex contains three courtyards, a cathedral, a chapel, palaces, a convent and several fortification towers.

Once an exclusive entertainment area reserved for royals, the beautiful landscaped garden is now open to the public. Besides nature, you’ll find a number of magnificent buildings in the Royal Garden.

This highlight of neo-Renaissance architecture is home to the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. It was built at the end of the 19th century by the same architects responsible for the National Theatre.

This Renaissance style palace was built in the 16th century in Prague’s Castle District by Count Jan Lobkowicz the Younger. The palace is now a museum with late-Renaissance sculptures and paintings.

The history of this bell tower goes back to the 15th century. Inside the tower are a restaurant and, on the 10th floor, an observation deck with panoramic views over the city of Prague.

One of Prague’s most magnificent churches overlooks Lesser Town Square at the foot of Prague’s castle district. The church was constructed in the 18th century by Christoph Dientzenhofer and his son Kilian Ignaz.

One of two St. Nicholas Churches in Prague, this Baroque church borders Old Town Square. It was designed by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer who also completed the other St. Nicholas church.

St. Vitus Cathedral stands within the confines of the Prague Castle and is one of Eastern Europe’s finest examples of Gothic architecture. Inside is the tomb of St. Wenceslas, the country’s patron saint.

Strahov Monastery was built in 1140 on the approach route to the Prague Castle. The monastery is best known for its magnificent library which contains a collection of over 200,000 books.

Tyn Church, overlooking Old Town Square, is one of Prague’s most photographed sights. The church, which was built in the 14th century, still towers over the city.

This magnificent formal garden is divided into several terraces laid out on a sloping terrain. Staircases, decorated with baroque statues, connect the different levels.

Vyšehrad is the site of a large castle built in the 10th century and the residence of the Bohemian royals until 1140. The only remnants visible today are the ramparts, gates and the ruins of a bastion.

Wallenstein Palace is an impressive palace built in the early 17th century for Albrecht von Wallenstein, commander of the Imperial army. The palace is also known for its beautiful Italianate garden.

Prague’s grand central square was originally the site of a large horse market. It developed into a bustling commercial boulevard lined with shops, restaurants and hotels.

The Žižkov Tower was built in 1985-1992 as a TV Tower. Today it is the tallest tower in Prague. It houses a restaurant and observatory with panoramic views over the city.

Scroll to Top